*
"Home"
"Job versus Ministry" – What is the difference between the two? That was one of the many insights I received during the servers' retreat held during the past weekend. It was as how any other retreat would be like - reflective, deep, inspiring, relaxing and very rejuvenating.
Rejuvenation.
That was the word that kept appearing in my mind throughout the whole retreat. A sense of relief and a breath of fresh air. Many valuable aspects of servers, church and the servers' society on a whole were discussed, shared and contemplated. And with the total number present being a manageable 9, it was very easy for deep sharing and insightful discussions. It is something that I usually look forward to and appreciate a lot. I tend to react better with smaller groups like these when sharing sessions are involved.
Moreover, I find the whole retreat rather spirtually strengthening in the sense that all of us had more praying experiences. Rather than being shy at prayer, we were now more outspoken in our own unique prayer; something I find an achievement in this retreat.
We even created our own leaders' motto. Flame. A simple yet powerful word that stands as a platform and foundation for the leaders to follow. I liked it.
I liked the whole retreat. It was something I needed. A break. As mentioned, a breath of fresh air and a form of escape to fully re-consider on how I can eventually bring up these leaders around me to ultimately lead the society to greater heights.
I also appreciated the fact that all of us leaders shared a common brotherly bond among us. It was really remarkable how all of us could see each other as fellow brothers, fellow leaders and fellow friends. It was definitely a unique feeling that I immediately felt in the retreat.
Other memorable activities would be the frequent yelps, exclaimations, shoutings and un-controllable laughter that was a common sight among the football table. A favourite past-time and a really enjoyable game that only made all of us bond closer. :)
Yet another comical sight would be seeing my fellow leaders getting thrown about in the unique air-cushion that catapulted many of the smaller ones when other bigger ones sat on the other end. Couldn't control my laughter at all. Haha.
I couldn't ask for more. Really. Accomodation was good. Food was great. But the company was splendid. I really enjoyed the company and that itself marked the most important aspect of the entire retreat. Bonding the bunch of us leaders together once more and giving a new start to the next batch of leaders that will be succeeding us.
Mass at St Anthony's was an eye-opening experience. The servers there were so different from the ones at home. Boy were they polished. Tim and Justin sat next to me during mass. Both of them were telling me their own comments on the servers there and I found it rather amusing too.
Tim: Hey Chris, you see that guy over there. *Points to the right of the altar. My goodness, his movements are so precise!
Chris: Yea Man, very remarkable. They serve very very well.
Tim: Yea, I agree.
Justin: Hey Chris, you see that guy over there. *Poitns to the left of the altar. Gosh, his bow and genuflection is so nice!
Chris: Yea Man, very remarkable. They serve very well.
Justin: Yea, I agree
Haha. And stuff like these went on throughout the rest of the mass. But that doesn't mean that we weren't paying attention to the mass proper ah :P They were indeed excellent servers I must say. The senior servers in that parish even wears a different kind of alb/cassock differentating him from the rest of the junior servers. How interesting.
Our Father and Sign of peace was a very warm and touching affair. Even when Lamb Of God was being sung, the bunch of us leaders were still wishing each other peace. Lol, most of the congregation were still looking at us. Moreover, we were sitting in the front; very attention grabbing lol.
But what was in my opinion, the climax and the most touching and memorable part of the entire retreat was the final sharing session cum peace-exchanging activity that is usually done before the end of the camp. We do it very often at camps with the most touching one personally for me being the one 3 years ago.
Likewise, it was once again touching this time round as I saw many of the leaders exchanging complements and saying nice-stuff about each other. The occasional negative comment was made but all of this was in hope for better leaders. I'm glad everyone took their comments seriously and the whole activity was indeed beneficial for all.
In any case, it was undeniably, a great retreat. Something that I will remember as a server and as a person for a pretty long while. Boy did that breath of fresh air felt refreshing and rejuvenating :) The mountains and hills are indeed high above the clouds again!
Special thanks goes out to Anthony and his family for their splendid accomodation. Anthony in particular for his activities.
My fellow leaders:
Justin
Shane
Timothy
Paul
Chris
Nigel
Jonathan Pang
Jeremiah James
And my inspirational senior:
Emmanuel Chin
It has been a great retreat :)
*
~*Chris* Was Here At 9:59 pm~
~~~