*
"Can't take it in"
Phew, I just returned from yet another enriching carolling session by the altar servers. A very interesting and taxing week awaits me.
A breakdown of the events and activities that will happen this coming week:
Monday: Carolling Session with Servers
Tuesday: Kuching Balloon making plus Kuching Carolling Session
Wednesday: Carolling Session with Servers
Thursday: Kuching Prep plus Kuching line dancing :)
Friday: Carolling session with Servers; and the start of the Servers leaders' retreat.
Saturday: Servers' Leaders' retreat plus carolling session with servers
Sunday: Leaders' Retreat, plus mass :)
Woohoo; what a week! Absolutely jammed pack with activities. Thus, it is no question why my nickname, given to me by my classmates is none other than the Pope. Haha. It definitely is a better nickname that those that haunted me during my primary school days though. Ah, pleasant memories of St Anthony's. Haha.
Today's carolling was once again interesting. A song that was focused and was dwelt with in greater depth was the song - "Do you hear what I hear". It is a unique Christmas carol that has rather meaningful lyrics, but it is a bit of a challenge to sing that song; certain parts end abruptly while others have hard-to-reach keys. Other common Christmas carols were once again rehearsed.
But what I'm about to blog today would be the question posed to me by one of the younger servers. A simple question; yet on closer inspection; it certainly requires gentle explanation and careful elaboration.
The simple and innocent asked by a P5 boy was like so, "Chris, is it hard being the president of the Altar Servers?"
That question, is one of the many questions I tend to ask myself constantly, and reflect upon. Whether it is hard being the president of the altar servers.
"With great power comes great responsibility" - goes the cliche saying of Spiderman. Honestly, I really respect that quote, yet many a times, it is saddening to see leaders, leaders on a whole whether they are in companies, organisations, churches, societies, CCAs etc all falling prey to power; mutating into power-hungry creatures. I've seen it, had many leaders having such traits, came close to it, but I'm proud to say I've refused to fall prey to it.
One simple value would be the defence to such an evil - Determination. Moreover, I've mentioned so often that I've always treasured this society and respected everyone in the society as my own brothers. Care, love and Kindness are just values I radiate to these servers not because I am the president of this society and not because I want to be that leader that everyone favours upon and mingles with. I do this, because I care, and there it is a strong feeling, bond and connection I have with the society and the servers on a whole.
People should not just become great individuals or great leaders only when given the position to do so. Yes, some might argue that opportunities must be made avaliable for these individuals to become leaders. I agree with that. However, my best friend once told me that one should never wait for things to happen, ponder about situations to befall upon them. Rather, they should make these things that they want to happen; occur, and most importantly, dictate their lives. Seriously dude, this is a remarkable value I admire.
Coming back to the question raised by my fellow server. Yes, it has been a difficult and trying time for me, being the head of this society. But, I am also blessed and grateful to share this position with Jonathan too. It is true that we had went through hard times and occasions that proved that two heads may not be better than one, but this is precisely where comprimise and possessing an open mind plays the most crucial part.
Moreover, I am also extremely fortunate to have excellent leaders around me and assisting me too. Justin, Shane, Jonathan Clyde, Jeremiah, Benendict, Aaron, Colin; all of you people are excellent leaders too. Individuals that the society cannot function without. Like I've mentioned to some of you, some of you are really the pillar of the society, everyone of you are special individuals that have and are still contributing so much to the society. I really respect each and everyone of you for that. One must not always look at a functioning society and complement only the head of that particular society. For the servers' society, we've been an excellent team that have worked well with each other, and admist the hiccoughs, we've pulled through and just looking at the society now reflects the success we've achieved.
Honestly, Jon and I would not be able to lead such a big society like that without leaders like you guys. :)
What constitutes having a hard time being the President of the servers' society? Mainly miscommunication and having to deal with hard-headed parents. Miscommunication has proven to be a really devastating force to the society and parents can sometimes be unreasonable. Yet, these are just things that only made me a better leader and a better brother to all of my servers. I'm not implying that parents are really a turn-off to me and that they are highly unreasonable and intolerable. Moreover, I see these events as opportunities for me to learn and grow. Dealing with these things may be challenging, but rewarding at the same time.
Another thing that may be considered 'hard' for a president to handle in the society would be the constant care and affection one would need to have for all of the servers in the society. Whether anot they are on time for their mass services, to basic things such as caring for their welfare and well-being. The word 'hard' here is in inverted commas as these obstacles to me aren't obstacles at all. They are automatic feelings and affection that I have for the society, thus from nursing a wound of my one my servers, to providing special advice and conselling to some others, these are not 'hard' for me at all. I've even bought dinner for some of the older servers who needed to skip their dinner in order to serve a mass that had a weird timing that clashed with their dinner. Nope, I do not find these events 'hard' to accomplish as one basic thing that I've learnt from myself about leading this society is that I love the society. Once that value is possessed, in my opinion, all forms of care, love, kindness and affection would radiate freely from that 'enlightened' :P individual.
Moreover, the sense of grattitude I've felt from my very own servers especially during the time I bought dinner for them has been really rewarding for me and only made my love and passion for serving the society greater. That sense of thankfulness and relief and the simple 'thank you Chris' was enough for me. These are my brothers after all and there is no point being materialistic and stingy with them. I'm not like that you see.
In any case, a misconception many would have after reading the above would be that I tend to play the 'good' guy, the person whom fails to reprimand, scold and lecture as I have other leaders doing that. Haha, that would be a mistake though. As much as I hate it, and as much I as feel that its 'hard' for me to do so, I do have times that I've made servers cry, shouted, screamed and yelled at many of them. It sucks and I hate doing that. But sometimes, it tends to be the only effective choice. Thus, I am not that 'good' guy that everyone loves. I do have times when even I hate myself for resorting to such tactics to discipline the society, but even if my servers dislike me for it, I see the bigger picture in it; I see it as the well-being of the society on a whole. But I must admit, this whole reprimanding thing is something I would consider 'hard' for me to do and acknowlege.
Thus, being the president of such a big society does have its hard times and trying times. Yes, it is a 'hard' position to be in at times, but yet again, the sense of achievement, gratitude and love I have felt so much and have even received such values by the society and the servers themselves are things I often reminice upon and thank God for it. Therefore, I would say that admist the ups and downs of this role, it has certainly been a rewarding time for me; leading this society and more importantly being the brother to all of these servers that I truly admire, respect, love and cherish.
I can only thank you God for being the person that I am.
*
~*Chris* Was Here At 10:57 pm~
~~~