l
~Sunday, March 22, 2009~
*
"Islands in the Stream"

As expected, the over-night ops was very eye-opening. It was an amazing and extremely tiring experience. It allowed me to reminisce how night shift was like all over again.

I always enjoyed the night shifts when I was doing patrolling duties. Somehow, the night shift is usually more tranquil, quieter and melancholic. I relish such sentiments. The dark blue night sky; the stars and the very cool breeze next to West Coast Park. :) It was a perfect environment for soul-searching, self reflection and serious introspection.

Anyway, flipping through the articles in Saturday's newspaper really shocked me. I knew the global economy was suffering and I know that we are currently in a serious recession. But what was personally shocking was to see the very statistics; the actual numbers of which blue chips have fallen so dramatically.

I'm talking about Citi-group, General Motors, General Electric (in the American Markets) and UOB, DBS, Singapore Airlines, Creative Industries (in the Singapore Markets) etc. The numbers are astouding. To me, it has almost become ridiculous.

Take General Motors for an example.

The second largest car maker in the world, with the following brands in its arsenal - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling used to have stocks peaking at US$42.64.

And now, the price has fallen to US$2.87.

Utterly ridiculous.

Man, just thinking about the cost-cutting measures of the aforementioned company gives me the creeps. The amount of workers being laid off would be stupendous. Hopefully, the economic stimulus package would revive and aid such companies.

Analyst are already comparing the current economic recession to that of the 1929's great depression. I never knew it was that bad till I saw the actual statistics today.

Well, if we could pull through the 1929's depression, we should be able to pull through our current recession. There's China and India. There's the new political climate; the beginning of a new political economy. Therefore, there is definitely hope. We must remain optimistic then. We will pull through.

We must.


Okay then, in other completely unrelated news, driving on a whole has been a real pleasure. However, if I drive according to the way I was taught back in BBDC, I think I will piss a lot of drivers off. Haha, I learnt that the hard way with piercing stares and numerous tail-gatings.
Oh well. :)

Excuse me for abiding by the traffic rules and keeping to the speed limits!

Right then, here's to yet another great week ahead. There's no better way to start a week filled with optimism, joyous expectation and a tinge of self-denial. HeHe :)
*

~*Chris* Was Here At 10:03 pm~
~~~